Welcome back to the guest bedroom story. Just to recap, the walls were painted lilac, the woodwork and ceiling black. The stencil, art deco border DE296, had been chosen and was to be stencilled in black with green and orange accents. The carpet is grey and there is an art deco rug in green, orange, black and grey. The furniture is made of honey coloured wood with ebonised bands...Come on in....
The stencil is a border which is not my usual choice of type of stencil (I tend to prefer all over repeats). But I wanted to do something a bit different in this room and this particular border allowed me to be a bit creative. The stencil sits just under our painted coving. Because of its tile-like look, I could run the border vertically as well as horizontally which I did down one side of the chimney breast for some added detail.
The orange and green accents only show up occasionally and randomly throughout the border. The other addition we made was to add our initial “E” every so often throughout. I had a single letter "E" made to the same size as the border. It is from 305 Modern Alphabet.
It is a bit of fun on our part and a reminder that guests are staying at Egglestone Manor.
It only shows up once on each wall so is quite subtle.
The stencilling took less than a day and something quite extraordinary happened. When stencilling a border, we always recommend that you start in the most non-visible area in a room as you will never finish perfectly. In other words, there will always be a seam where you finish. I chose the right side of the chimney breast as my starting and finishing point as once the wardrobe was in place, you would have to crane your head around the corner to see the stencilling.
The other good place to start and finish is above the doorway. To my absolute astonishment, the stencilling finished repeat perfect to the millimetre. That NEVER happens. Despite 6 inward corners to stencil (which are always fiddly), the fact that the room is not perfectly square and there is a chimney breast protruding on one wall and I threw in these random “E’s”, the stencilling is seamless. You cannot tell where I started or finished. Luck was with me that day and I should have immediately run out and bought a lottery ticket, but I didn’t.
This was an exciting room to put together. It is probably because I was a bit unsure as we were working on the room. It felt better than usual when we started to put everything in place and see how well it was working out (not to mention a relief). Luckily I had measured correctly and the furniture tucked in neatly. The dressing table doubles as a bedside table. On ebay, I found two 1970’s chrome mushroom lamps which have a deco look.
I love Clarice Cliff Bizarre Ware pottery from the 20’s and 30’s but the prices are astronomical as she is so collectable.
However, I did have some vases that were made in the same era, obviously copying the look, and they work just as well.
I found a wonderful ottoman with very art deco stepped detail. I love that it is so worn.
The original art deco curtains that I had originally hung in the living room even though they were too small, now hang here and look much better for it. The size is perfect for the window.
I found a geometric patterned net curtain (needed for privacy) and as it was cotton, I could dye it black (with Dylon Machine Dye) which is more in keeping with the colours of the room.
This painting is called "After Peploe" and I bought it at the Bywell Arts Festival a few years ago.
This painting was found on ebay and is from the 1920's. I added a few vintage clothing pieces (you know I cannot resist) and the room is complete.
The only thing I would still like to do in the room is either find or make a fitted bedspread as I think it would look better in this room (the eiderdown could come out when the room is in use and it is chilly).
Although I am not sure I have the skill to make a fitted bedspread, it is a good excuse to head to the fabric shops and have a look at what is out there if I cannot find the right vintage one.
So there you have it. We finished just as the garden was starting to take off and need our attention. All in all, it only took 6 weeks from priming and painting through to completely finished which is quite good going for a complete overhaul. I think it helped that a lot of research and planning had gone on beforehand so that when we were ready to start, almost everything was lined up. It also helped that we had a long Easter weekend and a bank holiday weekend which gave us a few extra days. And of course, I couldn’t have done it without the help and patience of Mr E. It is handy to work on something with someone else, but we were careful that we were not always working in a small space together at the same time. Things remained quite harmonious, thank goodness, and we are still friends.
All photographs by Stephen Egglestone